Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 2 of my Cleanse

Hubby and I decided to do a cleanse this week...

The original intent was to do a water fast yesterday...and move onto fruits and veggies for the rest of the week.  Well...he was starving by last night, so he went onto fruits/veggies today...I was feeling so good, I decided to continue the water/tea fast through today...

Why did we do this, you might ask?  I've always been a firm believer in taking a break from our need to eat...cleanse the body...reboot, so to speak.  But...haven't done it since long, long ago.   Well, actually, I had a 12 day fast imposed on me 4 years ago, for reasons I won't go into...I was emotionally drained, and things came to a head...and I just didn't touch a bite for 12 days.  (I was surprised not to have had one "blood sugar" issue, because usually, I miss a feeding and I'm screaming "My blood sugar is dropping!  AAACK!")
What I came to discover is when we are not focused on food, but on something else that is filling our thoughts and emotional selves...food just doesn't matter.  I screwed up and told myself that I must not eat in times of extreme emotional duress, having never experienced what I was experiencing...and found out that just wasn't true 3 months later when another crisis came along!  (And I slowly gained back the 20 pounds I had lost telling myself "I deserved it." That crisis, however, didn't consume me as the first had.)  Anyhow...my point is...I have enough extra weight on my body to gestate several very healthy babies should I want too.  Living without food isn't going to kill me anytime soon.

Meanwhile, I feel good...not hungry...and it's actually enjoyable not to have to think about what I want/need/have to eat.  I know it probably sounds weird.  But I think I will continue with it tomorrow, as well...then ease back into eating with fruits and vegetables for the rest of the week.  Then...continue on a mostly plant based diet for awhile.  I'm not totally sure about the dairy thing quite yet...I love cheese way too much, I think, to give it up completely.  Meat will always be an option for me, as well as fish. 
I'm not an extremist, y'all!  :-)

I am thinking about doing a 30 day juice fast the month of September.

Considering that is the month we break ground on the new kitchen and also the month my baby goes to school full time...I may be filling my face with french fries and full-fat lattes, instead...

But I think not!  I AM going to get into a better place healthwise this summer...I AM, I AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment